Ovens Odyssey Stage 14 - Smoko to Bright (Racecourse Plantation)
This was the final stage of the Odyssey, that's it, we're done! We have chipped away over the past 2.5 yeas and have finally completed the 216 km length of the Ovens River from Harrietville to the Murray River.
As with the most upstream Stage 13, this section of river had numerous blockages and overhanging willows which required portaging (i.e. getting out of the boat to walk around an obstacle).
The stats were:
- The 14th stage of the Ovens Odyssey was paddled on the 2nd October 2020
- 11.9 km (Ch:14 to Ch:25.9)
- Time taken 3:40 hrs (with much time spent portaging blockages) 3.25 km/hr average.
- River Gauge Height - 1.59m at Harrietville
- 2 paddlers (Jamie and Pete) in 2 kayaks
- Car shuffle assistance from Rowan
- Treacherous reach, need to be very wary and prepared for blockages, overhanging logs and willows. THIS IS NOT A SUITABLE REACH FOR INEXPERIECED PADDLERS.
- Numerous portages (~10) during this stage.