Ovens Odyssey Stage 12 - Racecourse Plantation (u/s Bright) to Braithwaites P. (d/s Porepunkah)
Updated: Jan 5, 2022
We had been waiting for a break from work to correspond with some rainfall in the Ovens catchment so when the river was above 1.3m at Bright (just) we decided to go. Six of us including Fabrice, Minnsy and father and son teams Pete & Max and Jamie & Row put in to the river just upstream of the Bright township.
What can we say about this stage:
- A vehicle was left at the downstream end within Braithwaites Plantation, off the Great Alpine Road. The river was entered at Racecourse Plantation off Tyntynder Lane on the upstream side of Bright township.
- There are rocky gorge sections of river through Bright to Porepunkah and 3 weirs to negotiate. The first weir (Bright water offtake) was just paddlable at this river level. The two other weirs (Bright weir and Porepunkah Weir) were not able to be paddled with this low water level.
- There are many small rapids within Bright and through to Porepunkah. Local advice should be sought if you plan to tackle this reach of river in high water conditions.
- The gorge section between Bright and Porepunkah is great fun even under low flow conditions (1.3m at Bright).
Click this Video link to see some of Stage 12
The stats were:
- The 12th stage of the Ovens Odyssey was paddled on the 4th November 2019
- 13.7 km (Ch:25.9 to Ch:39.6) (note Ch:25.9 = Chainage 25.9 river kilometres downstream from Harrietville Ch:00)
- Time taken 4.5 hrs (with much time spent playing around in small rapids) 3.0km/hr average.
- River Gauge Height - 1.30m at Bright
- 6 paddlers, all in kayaks